Instructions for reconnecting your classroom printer to your computer
Here are the steps needed to add a printer to your school-issued computer:
- First, ensure the green wifi symbol can be seen in the top left corner of the printer's display screen. There should also be a twelve-digit IP Address visible at the center-top of the screen (example: 100.102.170.115). This is unique to the printer.
- Open Settings. This can be found by clicking on the Microsoft logo in the lower left corner of the screen, then clicking the gear icon just above the power icon.
- Go to Devices, then Printers & scanners
- Click + Add a printer or scanner
- Scroll through the list of available wireless printers. If yours is not there, click The printer that I want isn't listed at the bottom of the list.
- Select the option Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname. Then click Next
- Enter the twelve-digit IP Address including periods found at the top-center of the printer display
- You will then need to install the printer driver. Most of your classrooms have Lexmark printers. Select Lexmark from the left side and on the right, locate the class driver that closely matches the model of the printer you are connecting to (Example: for a Lexmark MS622 printer, install the Lexmark MS620 Series Driver). This process should only take a few moments.
- Select Use the driver that is currently installed.
- Name the printer with the brand, model type, and room number. (Example: LexmarkMS622 Rm 405). Then click Next and let the printer install. You can share the printer with the same name.
- Print a test page. If the page prints from the printer, you have successfully completed installation.
You may need to repeat these steps if your printer is booted from the Network. Note that the steps are slightly different for Macs.