In New York City, students apply to high school during their eighth grade year. Current ninth grade students (who are not repeating ninth grade) also have the option to apply to programs with tenth grade seats. Learn more by watching our video series, and scroll down for the latest information and updates.
- Sign up for our high school admissions email list: we'll send you updates, admissions tips, and key date reminders.
- Learn about community-informed admissions updates for this year! [INSERT ANCHOR LINK]
For students entering ninth grade in fall 2023, it's time to get ready for high school admissions! Here's what to do, when:
- Get your high school welcome letter. In early October, eighth grade students will receive high school welcome letters from your current NYC public school. Each student's letter includes a unique access code that you can use to create a MySchools account(Open external link) (if you don't already have one) and access your personalized search and applications.
- Register for the Specialized High Schools Admissions Test (SHSAT). Interested in one or more of the testing Specialized High Schools? If so, register for the SHSAT; taking this test is how you apply to these eight schools. Registration opens on October 6, and students will take the test on November 17, 19, or 20––learn more at schools.nyc.gov/SHS.
- Submit your high school application. This is how you apply to most of NYC's 700+ program options. When the application opens on October 12, list 12 program choices in your order of preference. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as an audition or assessment, and some programs consider students' academic records in admissions. The deadline to apply is December 1.
- Submit a LaGuardia High School application. Apply to any/all of the six arts programs at NYC's audition Specialized High School by submitting a separate application and auditioning. This application opens on October 12, and the deadline to apply is December 1. Learn more at schools.nyc.gov/HSAuditions.
- Online with MySchools(Open external link)
- Through your school counselor
- Through a Family Welcome Center
New to NYC public schools and need a high school for your child now? Learn what to do on our New Students page.
For more information about the process, see the DOE Website here